Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Wants and Desires

What do we need and what do we want?

In so many instances, the two are confused for each other, and it results in a problem that we, being the one involved, are unable to wade through and solve. What we want, we feel we need, what we need, we know we need, hence you see the problem. We always feel that we need something. Surely, this is not true.

Pause.

That is what we need, a moment to consider and weigh, and feel and think. Pause is what many people overlook because it is a natural instinct that kicks in; to desire greatly for something to the point of needing it.

It is a simple, but core problem that we have, that I have. How then can I distinguish between the two?

As most elegant solutions, they are hardly simple, involving layers upon layers of understanding, layers that are woven and inter-dependent on each other that it is absurd to accept one without another. Personally, it boils down to a matter of necessity, simply put. If that thing is necessary for me, I will need it, if it is not, then it is merely a want. Therein lies another problem, what is necessary?

Humans have unlimited desires and limited resources, an economic problem that bases its foundations on the social aspect of Humans being such. Personally, something is necessary if it is essential to my well-being. Essential carries with it the implication that it is good for me, that it is beneficial for me, as per the first assumption and that is tied to my well-being so closely that it is vital.

Take a look at our lives, how many of our desires are beneficial and essential? Very few.

It is really sobering when I take a Pause and question my instincts and thoughts, and I emerge with the conclusion that it was merely a want, a desire. Something in there is not working properly, something in there is pointing the wrong directions and asking for the wrong things.

Something needs fixing.

No comments: