Thursday, January 17, 2013

Sometimes we search and search for something, something we do not even know, just a desire to acquire something. Ephemeral or ever-lasting, it does not matter. We dedicate hours, days, lives in search of it, but we never find it. Some things are not meant to be searched, they are not found.

A tiny thought went through my mind yesterday. In our youth, we have the time and energy to pursue life, but we lack the time to. In our middle age, we have the money and the energy, but not the time. And lastly, when we are old, we have the money, the time, but sadly, not the energy. We are always lacking something in the pursuit of life. An asymptote in the graph that is Life. We can only approach it to such a degree, so close, but still, it will never be. We will never get it, chasing shadows. That was how my cousin put it. Life is like our own shadow, no matter how fast we run, no matter how we twist and turn, it always be beyond our grasp. Instead, we should turn towards the Light, pursue the Light instead. No one said it was not possible, but often we get distracted by the little things. See, once we chase the light, our shadow will follow suit. As such, so will life pursue us, as a distraction, a temptation, a hindrance, an obstacle, in our pursuit of enlightenment.
Such are the trials of this life on Earth. The simpler they are, the more deceivingly dangerous they are. You want that ice cream? Oh, but if you do, there won't be time for Asar. You want to take a walk? Zuhur is ending soon. Out with friends? We have just entered Maghrib.

I think I am very very grateful to have friends who are non-muslims but yet still understand when I tell them I have to do something, for Islam. They would nod, smile and encourage me to carry on. Alhamdulillah. There are the type of people whose minds God have blessed to be open, to be receptive towards Islam. Alhamdulillah. They will ask and I will answer, and if I am unable to, it will compel me to find out. Alas, how can ignorance be granted? As I walked to the masjid as azan Maghrib was recited loud over the microphone, echoing around the vicinity, I looked within myself, and asked, 'how can anyone ignore the call to God, when it is so wonderful and beautiful?' I teared. Alhamdulillah.

We live in a world where Islam has been distorted, repressed, suppressed and ignored. Though we may simply say it is the fault of the non-believers, I stand to say that is also our fault, the believers, for standing tall and firm when our religion is compromised. Secular? Modern? I am not too sure that such terms exist, that religion is something that can be compromised. It all boils down to a simple desire of adherence, or ignorance. Such is the nature of temptation in our current age, and I fear that it is a temptation that will seduce a great many of us.

Alas, the hour is late, I have missed the Hour. Till then.

I need a teacher.

No comments: